Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mount Unzen

Mount Unzen is a volcano about 2 hours south of us that last erupted in 1991. The area around the volcano is very beautiful and mountainous. We took a drive through the towns of Obama, Unzen and Shimabara and saw some pretty amazing scenery. 

Obama is a hot springs town. They call the springs the Obama Onsen and it claims to be the longest foot bath in all of Japan. We had a picnic and a great time soaking our toes,


checking out the spring,


and having some fun with the signs.


After a few miles of driving through the beautiful mountains and town of Unzen, we visited a park near Shimabara where the worst of the volcano destruction occured. They have preserved some of the homes that were buried under the lava and debris from the eruption. These homes were evacuated before they were destroyed and were quite shocking to see.



I guess I forgot I would probably blog about our day trip so I only got a few pictures from our stops. I'm sure it is a blog fail to make a post about a volcano and not have an actual picture of the volcano on it. Trust me the scenery was pretty amazing.

It was a great road trip. We'll definitely be back!

1 comment:

  1. I especially love the head-in-a-hole shot! They are always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete