Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fast food


My new obsession is Japanese fast food! Here is our favorite, Hotto Motto. We don't see many McDonald's or other American fast food that much, except on base of course. There are a few McDonald's in the downtown area and we've seen a few in Nagasaki, but other than that they're pretty scarce. We do see tons of these Hotto Motto places, though.

There aren't any tables inside and there's no drive through, so you just order at the counter and then wait to pick it up. Most meals are about $5.00 to $6.00. It takes a little longer than most fast food, but the extra wait is worth it!  One of the best things for us is that the menu is all pictures.  So the first time we ate there, Nathan got his meal and I asked him what he got. He laughed and said he had no idea whether it was fish, chicken or pork, but the picture looked good.  I'm glad we're not too picky of eaters!

  Here are a few of the menu options.



I love that even Japanese fast food is healthy!  I think they do sell french fries, but most meals come with rice.

Here is what we ordered.

Nathan got some kind of fried pork on rice with a really tasty gravy sauce. We were unsure on what the smallest side was, but he guessed potato and I guessed some kind of root vegetable.


We got the boys some sesame chicken and then added some more veggies when we got home. Wilson was a big fan.


I got a dish that had a lot of rice, seaweed, bamboo, bean sprouts, 2 other unknown veggies, some tasty pork and my favorite - spicy kimchi! There is a sauce attached to the side that was really good. The first time I ordered it, I got it without the egg. This time I decided to be brave and go for it.

Here is how it came packaged.


Here is how it looks without the egg. Yum!

And here is the final product. I was expecting a raw egg and was kind of surprised when it came out soft boiled. Maybe it cooked a little on the way home sitting next to the hot meals?  I don't know, but it was pretty good. I don't think I'll go for the egg next time and I've got to figure out how to order extra kimchi.
  

Overall, Nathan and I have really enjoyed the Japanese food over here - even their fast food!

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture menu. It is as if it was made by a JSL (Japanese as a Second Language) company just for non Japanese speakers. But like you said, you cannot always tell just what is in the picture!

    ReplyDelete